Monday, July 6, 2009

The first day of the rest of my life.....

I have put off blogging for a long time. After thoughtful consideration I have decided to join the millions of blogging individuals. The main reason is to share and document my life with Cystic Fibrosis (CF). While I feel it's incredibly important to share what I know and to put a human face to a chronic terminal illness I also feel that it's important to show how great life can be even when tackling such obstacles.  

As of this writing I am 27 years old, life expectancy is approximately 35-37 years of age. In 1982 the year of my arrival on earth most who were diagnosed with CF lived only approximately 5-8 years. I was diagnosed at 4 months old after spending most of those first 4 months in the hospital. I was showing signs of malnutrition and failure to thrive.

The day I was diagnosed as told to me by my Nana was a day no one will ever forget. My mom does not talk about it very much, I believe it's because it was the day she woke up a young woman who believe in God's grace and went to sleep a woman who's faith had been shattered. Nana says that she knew they were running more tests (CF was one of the many) and that my mom was meeting the doctors to find out the results. On top of everything my mom had just recently found out that she was pregnant again. So Nana knew it was very important for her to be by my mom's side regardless of the results of the latest tests. I believe my dad was working and could not take the time off. As they were already facing thousands of dollars in medical expenses. Nana says she drove as fast as she could in hopes to get to my mom before they gave her the test results. When Nana walked in the room she found my mom curled in a ball sobbing. Nana said she walked up to her wrapped her body around my mom, she knew. I had CF.


~Doodlin' 


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad Nana was there for your mama. I can't imagine that day for her. So glad you are writing so those of us who love people with CF and those who don't know much about it can learn from you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete