Friday, July 10, 2009

Doctors and Nurses

As I continued to grow, medical research continued to advance. With each new development my parents felt a bit more hopeful for my future. Growing up in Central Oregon was both wonderful and frustrating. The medical care at the time was not advanced so many times they would refer us to Portland's Oregon Health and Sciences University in order to facilitate the best care possible. I loved and still love this hospital. 

My physicians in Bend will forever hold a special place in my heart. I saw a number of doctors at Central Oregon Pediatrics. The physicians were general ped's doctors but did their best to educate themselves on CF. They work closely with doctors at OHSU to facilitate my care. To this day when I visit Bend I always try to stop by and say hi. Many nurses and doctors are still working at Central Oregon Pediatrics. 

I also got to know many nurses at St. Charles Medical Center from all the times I was hospitalized. I knew them by first name, I would actually request them if I was assigned a different nurse. This personal relationship helped get thru the times when I was alone in the hospital. My mom and Nana did the best to always be with me but sometimes they simply had to work. Someone had to pay for the medical expenses. My mom still had my brother to care for. 

I have since moved to the Portland area and am under Kaiser's CF Care Center. I love my physician (Dr. Cohen), Physician's Assistant (Megan), and the whole team. They were refered to me by my physician in Bend. They are the ones the spend countless hours learning new therapies, attending conferences, seeing patients, spending time away from their loved ones to help better our lives. Dr. Cohen and Megan actually attended my wedding. I feel as thought they are an extension of my family.  

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment