Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Waste of time?

When visiting for CF Clinic we see a plethora of folks in many disciplines of medicine. CF clinic is supposed to be a comprehensive approach to care, therefore, we are seen by ALL those who manage our care.

There have been times that I have felt like a visit with a particular discipline or quite frankly the individual, is less than fruitful. For example, years ago I thought that meeting with the dietitian was a complete waste of time. I knew from the 15+ years of doing this that I needed to be consuming about 3500 calories a day. Our meetings would be about 5 minutes long. Until, I faced needing a feeding tube.

A little background might be helpful. I really enjoy chatting so I really liked the visit with the dietitian from a chatters perspective but I earnestly thought I knew it all and was managing my weight and/or nutritional needs just fine. I was also young and immature, which are huge contributing factors to my know-it-all attitude. Something more deceptive fueled that attitude. The thought that since I have sort of always been drawn to healthy options and a pallet for healthy fats, grains, proteins, etc nutritionally I was golden. I, like, most have a few things that are my guilty pleasures, Dr. Pepper and frozen corn dogs are a few. I added supplements to meals in the form of Ensure or Instant Breakfast shakes or fat soluble powders as often as possible. I honestly felt that there really wasn't anything more I could possibly add to my routine.

As I have matured and have become honest with myself I came to realize that I wasn't being 100% compliant with adding the supplements regularly but rather I was more wishy-washy adding it only when I remember or could stomach it. Truth of the matter was that after years of drinking the limited three flavors it became a chore to get the stuff down or at times down-right disgusting all together. I wasn't consuming the recommended amount of calories for various reasons. I would get too busy to eat or to plan a proper high caloric meal. I found it expensive to eat so much coupled with all the other expenses of maintaining my CF routines. This became apparent and I could no longer hide; the scale, the blood work, the bone density tests all spoke what I was afraid to admit. CF is hard to maintain particularly when your trying to find your way in life. When attempting to juggle all the 'regular' happenings life like college, social calendars, jobs, etc, etc.... crept in leaving little room to focus on nutrition. This was my truth. What's yours?

However, lying post-feeding tube surgery unable to cough or laugh because it hurt so bad, having to change my intimate time with my husband because I now had to accomodate a tube attached to me during the night and having to adjust what I wore because a new thing now protruded off my stomach changed my entire perspective. Funny how a crisis will do that. I wish my change had come proactively, before needing a feeding tube, I wish I would have put more effort into being 100% complaint and 100% honest but I didn't. Now I have to make the most of where I am. Meeting with the dietitian took on a whole new meaning. 

I no longer see the meeting with my dietitian (or any one no matter what my current state of health is) as a waste of time but rather an opportunity to learn new techniques, become up-to-date on what others are doing, leaning about what is working for others. Asking questions about different ways to make it most effective and efficient for me and my schedule. Finding new cheaper just as effective ways to meet my nutritional needs. Being honest with where I am and asking for assistance in making this work for me.

I encourage all patients and parents of patients to communicate honestly with your care team. They are there to help make managing this disease easier. If something is not working or you feel its unrealistic for you, then be honest with that. If paying for things is affecting your ability to be complaint, state that. They should be equipping you with resources or helping find resources within their discipline to assist you.

There is a reason that certain disciplines are included in our comprehensive care. It's not a waste of time. You get to choose to make the most of the opportunity. I encourage you to do so.

As a side note, I feel great now that I am adhering to the plan that my care team and I have collaborated together on to meet my needs and my lifestyle.

~Doodlin'

1 comment: