Tuesday, August 16, 2011

CF Clinic

Different hospitals and/or doctors offices that are registered CF Care Centers thru the CF Foundation host what is commonly know as CF Clinic. CF Clinic is a specified day that patients see all the necessary doctors or caregivers that are pertinent in treating CF. The most common grouping of doctors is a doctor who's speciality is CF along with a dietitian, respiratory therapists, social worker and/or counselor. Patients see all the above at different times thru out the year but every month or 3-months patients can see them all under one roof.

This can be intimidating. It's typically a much longer appointment; 1 to 3 hours, and it's a lot of information in one sitting. For me, I LOVE CF Clinic. I am a busy person and to be able to see everyone in one big swoop is super duper convenient for me. But besides the convenience factor, how awesome is it that we get to have all our doctors/nurses/therapists (caregivers) in the same place at the same time to collaborate care. Problems are typically solved or at least a game plan is developed so much faster this way. All the caregivers are on the same page about your care, since they've spoken directly to one another which also allows for a more open dialogue, versus email or by phone or worst yet by me relating the information to each one.

Today was my 3 month CF Clinic. My appointment was at 1pm. I always get nervous during the drive because even though I might feel good, the numbers from different evaluation tools don't lie and reflect a decline. I know it seems silly to think that if I feel good then the numbers should reflect that, but the truth is that we sort of become accustom to feeling a certain way after awhile, therefore, a light cough might not be noticeable to the patient as they have become complacent but the PFT's (pulmonary function test) could show that infact the lung function has dropped slightly. The entire objective of having CF Clinic at regular intervals is so that small changes can be adjusted for before things get out of hand or worst does damage for which the patient can no longer regain lost ground.

When we CFer's check in for clinic we are almost immediately taken to our examination room. The less time we spend in the lobby with sick patients the better. The logistics for how each clinic is ran varies. At  my clinic which happens to be with Kaiser Permanente in Portland, Or. each patient is assigned a room and will return to the room for the duration of the appointment. So, if I go to x-ray or the lab, I would return to the same room. This is for sterilization reasons. Here is the entrance to my room today....


As you can see, each caregiver check's off if they have seen me or not. This helps the flow as caregivers move from patient to patient. My first stop after checking into my room was with 'Respiratory'.

RESPIRATORY:
Our clinic always tries to have the patients go to respiratory first so that a base line of health can be established for this appointment. What happens is we use a device called a Spirometry that is attached by cable to a computer to measure our PFT's (pulmonary functions test) because CF is predominately a lung disease this helps the caregivers to know what sort of direction your health is going; stable, decrease, increase. For me, my PFT's have sort of leveled off or have been in the same range for a few years now. This is both good and not so good. We never want to become complacent we always want to find ways to improve the health of my lungs. Today's numbers after doing the PFT's were a bit low, which I was not 100% shocked about. I have been feeling a bit more fatigue than usual, I have a bit more of a cough when I lay flat to go to sleep and upon waking in the morning.

A little snap shot of what the device I blow in looks like for PFT's

I love the hot pink nose pinchers! Got look good when doing these sorts of tests, right?! Let me be clear these tests are not easy, you have to take a BIG BIG breathe in and release it as quickly as possible then in the same breathe continue to push as much air as you possibly can muster. For many CFer's this induces long bouts of coughing, the kind that makes your abs hurt.

The results from my PFT's are given to the physician who will be seeing next. I then go back to my assigned room (which happened to be right next door to this room).

DIETITIAN:
This is where we talk about my weight and how my feeding tube feedings are going. With the guidance of a dietitian we can make any needed adjustments. We also talk about my diabetes because that plays a significant role in my ability to gain weight. No, I am NOT on a special diabetic diet, I would look like a walking skeleton. I am on a very high caloric diet. For example; I used to do my feeding tube 5 nights a week but I have since decreased the number of nights to 3 and have maintained my weight for over six months on the 3 nights only!

SOCIAL WORKER/COUNSELOR:
This is such an important component to overall health when battling a terminal illness. We chat about all things that are going on in my life as well as how I feel I am doing in my journey with CF. I personally have and still battle with episodes of depression. In working with my social worker we have a game plan along with anti-depressents. We also talk about positive things that I can do in order to enjoy each day more. For example, sit outside for 10 minutes just taking in slow deep breathes. It's amazing how fresh air and quietness can rejuvenate a soul.

This piece I believe is fundamental.

DOCTOR:
So, the doctor is typically the last person we see. The doctor consults with everyone before seeing the patient or many times they all talk together along with me. The doctor allows me to ask any questions about any of the test results or to bring up other concerns that I feel need to be addressed. I also talk with my doctor about my diabetes because he also specializes in Endocrinology. Then my doctor and I (yes, I) talk about what we can do to facilitate the best care. I truly love that my medical team values my input. They work from a philosophy that the patient must be educated about their care, willing to carry out their care plan and able (physical, financial, etc) to carry out the care plan. If one of those pieces is missing then it won't work.

CONCLUSION:
I am on a 14 day round of Cipro for a sinus infection and we are adding another nebulizer treatment to help boost my PFT's back up. So I am taking it easy for the next 2 days or so while the Cipro works on fighting my pseudomonas and try to fit another neb treatment into my daily routine.

But because I am such a good patient and for all the times I didn't get any treats because they were chocolate I got a huge bag of my favorite bit size yummy's.



I left CF Clinic at 3:55pm! Phew. So I hope the mystery around what happens at CF Clinic is no longer such. Please ask me any question that comes to your mind, if you are thinking it I am sure others are too!

~Doodlin'

2 comments:

  1. There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way.PLaying roblox but don't have enough money to purchase robux don't worry read this article about how to get free robux

    ReplyDelete