Wednesday, July 27, 2011

High-Blood-Sugar-Induced-Crankypants

It's funny, okay, not funny but seriously dangerous how many times I have to learn a lesson before the lesson learned sinks in. I have been diabetic since I was 13 yrs old so I have had enough years experience to know that I should NEVER guess my glucose (blood sugar) levels. My guess-o-meter is critically flawed compared to my fancy One Touch meter, that was made for such testing.

The other night I had a ravenous appetite and consumed a good healthy amount of snack food. Not nutritionally good food but straight-up junk, like sugary cereal. I had tested before the consumption began but thought I knew best by making the decision to not test again after the eating binge began.

About an hour later B and I were talking and apparently I had a bit of a bad attitude causing him to ask me if I was upset. This should have been trigger #1 to test my blood sugar. I either was already too far gone in my high-blood-sugar-coma or really just didn't think about it. I truly believe is was the coma. I replied to B that I wasn't upset, therefore, we began watching a regular show for the night and I fell asleep after 5-10 minutes. Upon watching up I was a bit shocked as to why I was so sleepy, trigger #2, but again did nothing.

It wasn't until I tested again before going to bed did I find out that my blood sugar was 290! That is WAY high and it probably was higher at the peak just prior to me falling asleep. My crankiness and bad attitude didn't wear off until I had my sugars back down to a safer 150.

Man am I stubborn. I am proud to say I am checking more times per day now. I hope I can stay motivated and my fingertips don't fall off.

~Doodlin'

No comments:

Post a Comment