Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Starlight Run

In March I embarked on a huge goal; to run a 5K. I trained for 10 weeks. Starting out running 1 mile 3 times a week and adding .25 miles each week until I was able to run the 3 miles.

That sounds easy enough, right? Well, maybe for those of you who have nice pretty pink healthy lunge tissue. For me, my gosh it was a struggle. It's the kinda of struggle that pushed me to do more, to continue on with my goal and most importantly taught me I could do it if I worked hard and prepared enough.

The biggest struggle was coughing while running. I would be sure not to drink lots of water right before I went for a run, but I am telling you as soon as I coughed while running I would not be able to hold my pee. As you can imagine running while the mucus in your lungs is rattling (weezing) causing you to cough uncontrollably and peeing your pants is a ridiculously saddening feeling for a grow adult. However, as I continued to fight thru the embarrasment, pain of burning lungs, sore abs from coughing and of course sore legs from all the running I gained confidence. I also started to not care about peeing pants. Who was going to know? And if they did why did I care what they thought? They don't know me or my situation to appreciate the fact that I was still attempting to reach for the stars. But I did learn to run in black pants rather than bright colors or gray!

On June 4th I ran the 5K Starlight Fun run in Portland Oregon. On June 4th I dug deeper into my mental and physical depths of strength than ever before. On June 4th I crossed the finish line holding my husbands hand and greeted my mom on the other side.

~Doodlin'

1 comment:

  1. TOTALLY amazing! So impressed and inspired. I can just picture you running across the line, it makes me weepy. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete