Friday, September 16, 2011

Pulmonary Hemoptysis= Hospitalization Day # Uno

Oh, the joys of the unexpected.

Last Thursday (9/8/11) I was caring out my morning rituals as normal. Which begins by taking long list of medications, eating breakfast, getting dressed and lastly taking the dogs outside. It was a nice morning and so I decided to hang out with the dogs in the backyard to get some fresh air. During that time I had a coughing episode, which is not unusual, that produced bloody mucus. As I kept coughing and spitting. Which is highly encouraged to get the mucus up and out of the lungs, more blood than mucus started to show up. This at first was not alarming as coughing for great lengthens at a time and with great veracity can cause a few broken blood vessels. In the amount of 2 hours I had coughed up a lot of blood and began to become very concerned. Concerned enough to place a call to my doctor.

My first level of response is always to call my doctor to find out if they feel going to urgent care or the ER is necessary. Typically, a trip to either is fruitless as they really don't know how to treat such a complicated disease unless its immediately life-threatening. After a few discussions, Dr. Cohen recommended coming into his clinic to be seen.

I immediately rushed out the door to make the 45 minutes drive to his office. Upon arrival he had a preliminary diagnoses of Pulmonary Hemoptysis, which was only further confirmed after his physical evaluation. There a different levels of Pulmonary Hemoptysis, which are characterized by the amount of blood being brought up and the circumstances surrounding the current health of the patient. In my case, Dr. Cohen felt that antibiotics were necessary and since I had literally just gotten off an oral 14-day prescription of Cipro, a stay in the hospital was warranted. Ugh!

Honestly, I was not surprised. My biggest concern was that I hadn't packed anything prior to rushing out the door. You see, I have a particular set of things that always accompany me to the hospital. Books, pillow, blanket, my own pj's, sports bra (this helps when male nurses/doctors have to evaluate the lungs and with modesty), Bible and my UGG boots for walking around the halls. Nurses always get a kick out of my room, as I make it as homey as possible. I was worried about getting all this stuff. Silly, yes, but it helps ease anxieties making me comfortable when I am alone and is my saving grace during difficult times. I immediately called the hubbs to begin arranging the logistics of my stay. Hubbs works for his parents for which I am grateful. Is step-dad was able fill-in for him for the remaining part of the work day so that he could accompany during the check-in process.

B and I checked in to the hospital about 1pm. Check-in can be the worst part of the entire stay. I had to have a Picc Line placed, x-rays, blood work, etc...... I hate Picc Lines. They freak me out. I have to have to take anxiety medication for it or I cry uncontrollably during the procedure. It's really all psychological as they do a great job in numbing the area and I feel no pain. Once they have the line placed they immediately begin infusing two different anitibiotics. The first was Zosyn and the second is Tobramycin to treat Pseudomonas which are the underlying cause of the Hemoptysis.


Picc Line preparations-anyone recognize what t-shirt I am wearing?

At first dosing of each antibiotic things appeared to be going smoothly. I was a bit tired but other than that I felt pretty good. B and I decided it was safe for him to return home to get a good nights sleep and to pack me some comforts for home. My mother was going to take Friday off to be with me so that B could finish out the work week (we need the $$$, sadly). B left around 8pm to make the 1hr trek home. I fell asleep and awoke around 11pm and would not sleep again for 24hrs.

When I woke I was shivering had a fever and my body hurt. The nurses pilled on about 3 or 4 warm blankets and gave me Tylenol. The Tylenol had no affect and shortly after I began vomiting. My joints began to swell and the on-call doctor probably had no idea what to do for me. They gave me Vicodin for the pain and anti-naseau med's thru my Picc line, all in addition to my continued antibiotic regimen. The best description I can give and did give was that I felt like I was being poisoned.

The battle continued all night. All night I was shivering uncontrollably causing my muscles to ache my joints to become swollen and painful. I was sweating from the fever and I was alone! I had no comforts of home since I didn't have a chance to pack and it was in the middle of night.

Hopelessness threatened me.....

~Doodlin'

3 comments:

  1. Kari I'm sorry you went through most of that alone. Thinking of you often and you are in our prayers each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kari,even though we don't talk enough or see enough anymore, I think about you often. I'm so sorry that you have to live with such a horrible disease-it's not fair! BUT you are the strongest person I've ever known! You are such an inspiration, always looking on the bright side of things, and enjoying life to the fullest. You are loved by SO many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara~thank you. I stalk you thru FB but of course would LOVE to reconnect. Let's chat.
    Rachelle~God heard your prayers, no doubt about it :)

    ReplyDelete